You can’t do SEO right without a set of tools to track, measure and automate your marketing efforts.
To save you time picking the right solution for your business, I included a list of 30 SEO of tools I have evaluated over years that I recommend for small businesses, start-ups and entrepreneurs online. The list provides an ‘SEO starter toolkit‘ for developing a winning inbound marketing campaign.
All the tools are free or include a free trail. You will not find any affiliate links here.
For a complete list of inbound marketing and SEO tools, check out our SEO Toolbox.
30 Free SEO Tools for Small Businesses
- Ad Preview Tool – Tool that allows you to preview unbiased organic rankings and paid search ads per any given keyword and geography. Use for checking keyword rankings.
- Google’s Keyword Tool – Allows you to locate keywords based on your actual search enquiries and volume. Use for keyword research and discovery.
- Keyword Traffic Estimator – Helps you to define what keywords are most valuable to your business. Use for keyword search volume analysis.
- Google Trends – Formerly Insights for Search. Shows you what is trending online and what people are searching for. Use for identifying trending keywords.
- Ubersuggest – Get keyword ideas with Übersuggest the free keyword suggestion tool that makes good use of Google Suggest and other suggest services.
- Google Analytics – Measure your website visits and conversions, advertising ROI as well as track your Flash, video, and social networking sites and applications. Make sure to synch with Google Adwords and Webmaster Tools to get full tracking functionality.
- Contently – Contently helps creators—from individuals to Fortune 500s—to tell great stories. With tools for creating and showcasing amazing content, and by fostering connections between publisher and talent, Contently empowers storytelling that makes a difference.
- Open Site Explorer – Provides you with the ability to view the sites that are linking back to your website so you can strengthen your authority for better search engine rankings. A Pro membership is available providing users with comprehensive applications to further analyze data.
- Ahrefs – Fosters site optimization through link, anchor text, and keyword analysis based on its own independent crawler and index which updates every 15 minutes on average. Monthly subscription plans are accessible for more thorough reports.
- SEO-Browser.com – Enables to see your website like search engines see it, and understand the component parts of a Web page.
- Link Detective – Finds high quality and contextual links competitors are using through semantic markups and URL conversions to aid clever link-building.
- Screaming Frog – Allows you to quickly analyse, audit and review a site from an onsite SEO perspective. It fetches key onsite page elements for SEO, presents them in tabs by type and allows you to filter for common SEO issues, or slice and dice the data how you see fit by exporting into Excel.
- Alexa – Uses global web metrics to allow users to find the most successful websites based on category, country, or keyword and allows users to optimize their web presence.
- PR Checker – use this tool to conveniently check the PageRank of a domain. You can also use the widget below to check the PageRank of your site directly from this page.
- Google Webmaster Tools – Get detailed reports about your pages’ visibility on Google.
- Bing Webmaster Tools – Get access to free reports, tools and resources to improve your site’s performance in Bing and Yahoo search.
- Follower Wonk – A twitter intelligence tool that can be used to track and analyze followers, as well as search and find key influencers via twitter bios. Full analytical SEO and social tools can be accessed by subscribing monthly.
- Hoot Suite – Manages social media and messaging on a dashboard that integrates your brand’s social networks and apps. Customizable analytics are also available and at a minimal monthly fee, full features can be accessed.
- Twitter Adder – An automated twitter system that is touted as a “time saver”. It can be set up to manage multiple Twitter accounts, tweet, search for new followers based on chosen criteria, add and manage them.
- Topsy – Social search and social analytics found in one indexed resource. Access, analyze and gain insight from years of Twitter conversations. This tool is also handy for measuring exposure, providing exact counts of terms and hashtags; and finding influencers narrowed by topic.
- Social Crawlitics – Identify your competitor’s most shared content and find out who shared their content.
- Tynt – A powerful tool to help increase SEO traffic, Tynt inserts your webpage URL when your content is copied and pasted into social networks, emails and digital media outlets.
- Yoast SEO– A great tool for optimizing your website pages including content, images, snippet previews and descriptions.
- WidgetBox – Add engagement to your site, aggregate your content, and grow your audience with dynamic web widgets generator.
- Yext – A local “power-boosting” SEO tool that focuses on providing the perfect location information for your small business. Yext ensures your listings are correct, updated, and properly monitored.
- Triberr – Allows for blog syndication on a blogging/social media platform where other groups of bloggers with similar interests come together to share each other’s content to maximize reach and awareness.
- BlogUpp! – A widget developed to help promote various blogs. Simply submit your blog URL and the widget distributes snapshots and builds awareness on other relevant blog pages.
- Optimizley – Use this to tool to run A/B and multivariate tests for your landing pages to improve conversion rates. Plans start at $17.
- Content Experiments – Formerly Website Optimizer, Google’s free website testing and optimization tool, is not integrated into Google Analytics. It allows you to increase the value of your existing websites and traffic without spending a cent.
- Visual.ly – Visual.ly is an online platform for creating infographics and diagrams that integrate seamlessly with social networks. They offer a community Marketplace that connects designers and motion graphics artists who specialize in the development of more customized infographics.
Have I missed any top SEO for SMBs? Drop a note in the comments section with any suggestions.